Margery Knowlton Bursley Angst, 90, formerly of Ann Arbor, Mich. and Sanibel Island, died peacefully in her sleep on Jan. 19, 2011 at Autumn Care Nursing Home, Wilmington, N.C.
She was born May 17, 1920 in Ann Arbor, Mich. to Joseph and Marguerite (Knowlton) Bursley. She lived in Ann Arbor until she married William D. Angst on July 10, 1943. Together, they had three children.
Margery and Bill lived in Cleveland, Ohio, Ann Arbor, Grosse Pointe and Lansing, Mich., Port Elizabeth, South Africa, Birmingham, England, Chagrin Falls, Ohio and retired to Sanibel. Wherever they settled, together they made friends and created beautiful homes.
Throughout her life, Margery was active in many volunteer organizations: the Episcopal Church wherever they lived, the Junior Leagues of Cleveland, Detroit, and Lansing, Lansing Women’s Symphony Association, University of Michigan Presidents Club, Pirates Playhouse and Island Theater Wing, Sanibel-Captiva Conservation Foundation and Sigma Alpha Iota, national honorary women’s music sorority.
Margery is survived by her three children, Anne (Nancy) A. Weber, William D. Angst, Jr., and Margery A. Carney and her husband, David H. Carney; six grandchildren, Todd Weber, Charles Weber, Will Angst, III, Bradley Angst, Dr. Spencer Carney and Bliss Darragh; and seven great-grandchildren ,Justin Weber, Emily Weber, Townes Angst, Daley Carney, Cormac Carney, Caden Darragh and Brody Darragh. Margery was preceded in death by her beloved husband of 55 years, William David Angst, and her sisters, Anne Bursley Towne and Rebecca Bursley Winder.
The primary focus of Margery’s life was always her family and friends. She will be dearly missed by all those whose lives she touched.
A funeral service will be held Saturday, Feb. 12, 2011 at 3 p.m. at St. Andrew’s Episcopal Church, with burial at Forest Lawn Cemetery, both in Ann Arbor, Mich. In lieu of flowers, memorial contributions may be made in Margery’s name to Sanibel-Captiva Conservation Foundation, P.O. Box 839, Sanibel, FL 33957, or St. Andrew’s Episcopal Church, 304 N. Division St., Ann Arbor, MI 48104.