Marrow Donor drive
Jessica Dove is a 32- year-old single mother with two young children; Joey, 12, and Jasmine, 6. Dove, a Punta Gorda letter carrier, was diagnosed with colon cancer in June 2011 and has been given six to seven months to live. A bone marrow transplant could save her life.
Area postmasters are partnering with Florida's Blood Centers to host blood drives and an opportunity to register for the National Bone Marrow Registry.
Those who are not blood donors can still do the marrow testing. Marrow testing is painless and involves a simple swabbing of the mouth with a q-tip.
The public is urged to participate at these locations:
* July 19 Tice P.O., 4585 Palm Beach Blvd, Fort Myers 1 p.m. 5 p.m.
* July 19 Punta Gorda P.O., 130 E. Marion Ave, 1:30 p.m. 5:30 p.m.
* July 23 Bonita Springs P.O., 26150 Old U.S. 41, 1 p.m. 5 p.m.
* July 31 Estero P.O., 20791 Three Oaks Pkwy., 1 pm 5 p.m.
* Aug. 17 Cape Coral P.O., 1030 SE 9th Ave., 1 pm 5 p.m.
Local businesses are encouraged to host blood drives with marrow testing at their locations. Contact Denise Stiles at 239-939-1811 ext. 3 to plan a life-saving drive soon.